Shelter-In-Place Guide - FAQ: Evacuation

Why would we need to evacuate?

In some circumstances, leaving the hazardous area is the best way to protect the public. In situations involving a hazardous gas leak, emergency response personnel will estimate the amount of gas that will be accumulated in a specific time period and how the gas would affect people in the area of the leak in order to decide whether evacuation is the best form of public protection.

How should we evacuate?

Using your personal vehicle and the evacuation route provided by emergency response personnel, travel to the designated reception centre. If you indicate to responders that you require evacuation assistance, emergency responders will arrange for the necessary transportation. In some situations this may include evacuation by helicopter. Helicopters may be required in remote areas or in cases where the road cannot be traveled due to circumstances surrounding the emergency.

Where should we go?

Reception centres will be established in situations requiring evacuation. A reception centre is a safe place where members of the public can relocate to during an emergency situation. When you arrive at the reception centre, a reception centre representative will record your arrival so that emergency responders focus there response efforts on members of the public requiring additional assistance.

If you prefer to relocate to a location other than the reception centre, notify emergency responders of your plans and provide a contact number, for future communications. By notifying emergency personnel of your plans emergency responders can focus there response efforts on members of the public requiring additional assistance.

What should we do if we need assistance?

Advise emergency response personnel of you needs when they contact you. While waiting for evacuation assistance to arrive begin shelter-in-place procedures and keep you phone lines open for further communications from emergency personnel.

Maintained by Caliber Planning